I knew we were in for a fun time when Olivia wanted to go to downtown for Detroit Stylish Senior Portraits. I have photographed Olivia before for a ballet photo session. Now she has moved on to the high school varsity dance team! She brings such grace and sweetness to everything she does. I hope she has a fantastic senior year. It’s going to be a fun one with the Stoney Creek Dance Team at football games this fall! After that the dance team with have competitions both local and in Florida. What an experience!
Detroit Stylish Senior Portraits
For the start of Olivia’s Detroit Stylish Senior Portraits Session we went to the Detroit Institute of Arts! The marble arches and steps were the perfect backdrops for both her red dress and her jeans and cute top.
On our walk over to the Fox Theatre we were admiring this fire station with awesome red wood doors. One of the firefighters said she could sit on the truck for a photo. How cool! Thanks Detroit Fire Engine 1!
We made a few stops around town then ended our evening at the rooftop of the Z Garage. We were treated to the sights of a ball game at Comerica Park and a gorgeous rainbow sherbert sky! Olivia had the perfect outfit. I loved the blues with the soft fading blue of the sky.
Ready for us to plan your senior portrait session together! Check out the pArt of Life Photograph Senior Gallery for inspiration and let’s talk! Stoney Creek High School Seniors and Adams High School Seniors don’t forget to get your yearbook photograph taken. Rochester High School Seniors I can still take and submit your senior yearbook photograph. Lake Orion Seniors, Oxford Seniors, Dakota Seniors and Troy High School Seniors I have sessions coming up with some of your friends and I’d love to talk to you too.
Senior Photoshoot Basics: The Before, During & After
Your senior year deserves to be celebrated and commemorated, and there are so many fun ways to do this – a photo session is one of the best!
If you’ve never scheduled a professional photo session before or simply want to know what to expect from a senior session, this guide covers the basics
This is what you need to know…
- Yearbook deadlines. If your school is creating a yearbook, find out when they need your digital photo file. This will help you plan ahead. Currently I’m not allowed to submit yearbook photos for Stoney Creek or Adams, as they are requiring you to go to Prestige. Rochester High School does not have that requirement.
- The location. The location of your senior session should fit in with your personality and the story you want to tell. Picture yourself doing what you love – where would that usually be? There are always lots of great location ideas to choose from. We’ll talk this over and customize a session just for you.
- Sooner rather than later. You may need to schedule it a few months early to avoid missing out.
- The outfit. You can decide on an outfit once you’ve chosen your location, or you can do both at the same time. Your outfit should also represent who you are and fit in with the location you’ve chosen. Just make sure your outfit isn’t too distracting or it will end up being the focus of your photos.
- Hair and makeup arrangements. Don’t leave your hair and makeup arrangements for too late either. Decide on your final look and whether or not you want to do your own hair and makeup. Having your hair done helps it hold up during your session so consider this treat! The way most people do their own make-up is usually just fine. If you’re looking for a great local hair salon, try Ruby & Clover Salon in Rochester. Love that place and Amanda does a great job. I bet they are all great!
- Set aside 2 hours. The average senior photo session takes 1 to 2 hours, so take a few hours out of your day. This should include time to get ready.
- Meeting up. On the day of your session, you will meet me at your location at a specific time. There’s no need to be nervous. I’m there to make sure you have a good time and get the photos you’ve envisioned.
- Prepare to change outfits. Some seniors prefer to bring along an extra outfit to change into during their shoot. This is because one outfit might look better in a certain location than another. We’ll make a basic game plan ahead of time.
- Bring some company. If having a friend or family member with you will make you feel more comfortable, bring someone along. Just don’t bring too many people or they could end up being a distraction more than anything else.
- Sign a model release. Consider signing a model release form if you would like to see sneak peek on social media.
- The wait. It takes several weeks for your photographer to complete your images, so you will need to be patient. I will hurry though, as I’m excited to share them with you!
- Share and enjoy. Once you receive your photos, you can share the social media versions of your selections.
This is a basic idea of what you can expect from your senior photo session. Don’t be shy. Just ask me questions if you have any.
Check out the pArt of Life Photography Senior Gallery for more session samples and ideas. I’d love to create a senior portrait session just for you!
Your Senior Portraits Can ‘Pop’ With a Prop
Senior Picture Props Help You Stand Out
Throughout their time in high school, Seniors can try out a variety of different sports, hobbies, and clubs. As they try these different extracurriculars out, they find a few that they love. Oftentimes, this hobby becomes a huge part of who they are and what they are known for. A unique way to commemorate your passions is to incorporate them in your senior portraits! Your Senior Portraits Can ‘Pop’ With a Prop. Which one(s) will you bring along?
The great thing about using props in your senior photos is that it allows you to capture what you love.
We have listed photography prop ideas for classic senior portrait photography as well as some original photography prop ideas so you can capture a unique senior portrait.
Are you a sports lover and play on your school’s team or just love playing a certain sport? Bring your sports equipment to the portrait. If you love baseball you could bring your glove and bat. If you are a cheerleader, you can bring your pom-poms. Play multiple sports? Bring a variety of equipment to create a sporty look for your senior portraits.
If you aren’t wanting to use your sports equipment, wearing your sports jersey can be a simple prop to use in your senior photos.
Did you play in your school’s marching band, orchestra, or just love playing an instrument? Then incorporate it in your photos! Posing with your musical instrument will reflect your experiences and showcase your talents. If you have a particular marching band uniform or orchestra attire, you can even wear them in your photos to add something extra special. Plus, it will be fun to reflect on the uniforms you had to wear in high school!
Incorporate Your Car
Getting your first car is a huge part of your high school experience. By posing with your cars, you are creating memories for years to come and will be able to look back and remember the car you drove while you were in high school. You can incorporate your car into your photos by leaning against your car, sit in the driver’s seat, or sit on the hood.
If you love to read or have a favorite book you can incorporate them into your portraits! You can even pose with your senior yearbook.
Even your pets can be in your senior portraits! Your pets are a huge part of you and are a great way to add something unique to your pictures.
If you love to paint, you can bring a paint pallet or pictures you have created to incorporate into your senior photos.
If you don’t have a specific senior passion or hobby, but still want to incorporate a prop, then balloons will surely make your photos POP! Balloons are a fun way to add color. Whether you pose with them or have them in the background, they are a great way to add something special to your photos.
Do you have many passions but aren’t sure which one to pick? Incorporate them all! Don’t be shy when it comes to adding your creative spin to your portraits and combine your props.
Your Photos Are Ready to Pop!
Now that you have a few prop ideas, you are ready for your passions to shine in your senior photos! A picture is worth a thousand words, and when you add props, you share your passion in images. Your senior photos should reflect your high school experience and capture your excitement for the next life stage. Allow me to tastefully incorporate your props and make your senior portraits pop!
Senior portraits are a big way to celebrate your senior year!
Come experience a fun-filled senior session with pArt of Life Photography!
Check out our Senior Portrait Gallery
Senior Portraits: Professional Hair Stylist and Makeup Artist
Senior Portraits are the perfect way to commemorate all that your senior has done so far in their life, and a wonderful way to celebrate all the things their future has in store.
When having senior portraits done, you want to look your best. Many people do not think about what makeup or hairstyle they are going to have for their photo shoot until the last minute.
One way to prepare for your photo shoot is to hire a professional hair stylist and makeup artist to help you get ready for your pictures! Professional hair and makeup artists are skilled in preparing clients for photo shoots.
You can reduce stress by hiring a professional hairstylist and makeup artist.
It also adds to the experience of getting portraits done.
Getting your hair and makeup done for your senior session will add tons of confidence to your senior session!
Indulge yourself for your Senior Portraits and try a Professional Stylist and Makeup Artist!
Senior Portraits: Professional Hair Stylist and Makeup Artist
Hiring a professional hairstylist for your senior portraits is a great way to ensure you will love how your hair looks in your photos.
Professional hair stylists aren’t just good at doing hair—they’re good at keeping it done.
They have a lot of time-tested styling techniques and all the products imaginable to keep your style locked in place and looking perfect.
If you aren’t sure at what exact look you are going for, a hairstylist can help you pick out the perfect hair style.
A great place to get your hairstyle done for your senior portraits is Ruby and Clover which is located just north of downtown Rochester, MI.
Check out their website to see their services and portfolio: www.rubyandclover.com
One reason to hire a makeup artist is that makeup that looks amazing in person versus in photographs is very different.
These professionals have years of experience and use high-quality products to make you look your best in front of the lens!
If you don’t usually wear a lot of makeup you can always have them apply an amount that creates a look that you’re comfortable with. Professional makeup can still be very natural looking.
There are many great makeup artists to choose from. When looking for a makeup artist look at their reviews and ask to see photos of prior makeup they have done.
One place you can have your makeup professionally done is at Ulta Beauty. Check with your local Ulta to see if they are currently accepting appointments.
Another place located in Rochester, MI to get your makeup done is Rochester Beauty Bar. They are experienced in creating the perfect customized look that enhances your natural beauty.
You can check out their services on their website: https://www.rochesterbeautybar.com/makeup
Now You Are Photo Ready!
Having your hair and makeup done for your senior portraits can help you feel special and more confident in front of the camera. It is also one less thing to worry about on the day of your senior portraits!
Senior portraits are a great way to celebrate your accomplishments, and you deserve to look and feel your best.
When you book a senior portrait session with me, I focus on customizing sessions and providing a great experience during the session which allows for lasting memories.
I pride myself in specializing as a full-service photographer through pre-session consultation to ending with fine art prints and products. I can help you turn your senior portraits into a beautiful and lasting album that you can reflect on for years to come.
If you are ready to book your senior portraits, connect with me today!
Senior portraits are an important aspect of the senior year experience! Come experience a session with pArt of Life Photography!
Check out our Senior Portrait Gallery